Islands

I recently bought 'Atlas of Remote Islands' by Judith Schalansky for my partner, which is great because it means I get to read it. It's such an interesting concept for a book - Schalansky's own imaginative atlas of the world's loneliest places accompanied by incredible cartography. The book itself is a beautiful object and was awarded The German Arts Foundation prize for "the most beautiful book of the year".

As many of you may know, I am obsessed with maps and the lost/forgotten so I have also been fascinated by the recent 'un-discovery' of Sandy Island. Read the full article in the Guardian here. As Greg Meylan writes: "How it managed to appear, disappear and reappear onto various maps and charts is a mystery of the sea. No doubt some out there will believe the island is still there, or has simply moved south for the summer."